There are many different ways to use leafy greens for a healthy, varied diet. Here is quick recipe for keerai vadai.
1. Wash and soak ulutham parpu in water for 1-2hrs.
2. Grind the soaked parpu in a wet grinder (or mixer if you do not have a grinder) without adding water. Add only sprinkles of water if the grinder/mixer is struggling. The batter should be thick, soft and fluffy.
3. Meanwhile finely dice ginger, chillies, and onions and keep aside.
4. Wash and coarsely chop the silverbeet/spinach and keep aside.
5. To the ground parpu add the finely chopped keerai, onion, ginger and chillies.
6. Add the peppercorns and salt and mix the batter gently.
7. Taste and adjust seasoning.
8. Heat the oil in a deep kadai or frypan.
9. Wet the palm of your hand and place 2 tablespoons of the batter on it. Now using the thumb of your other hand press a hole in the middle of the batter (thus forming a donut)! Gently drop the donut into the hot oil and fry until golden brown on both side, making sure that the keerai does not burn. Drain the vadai well.
Serve while still hot with chutney or sambar. Enjoy!